Your smartphone is an essential part of your life, and it’s important to keep it charged. But with a plethora of options available, choosing the right charging cable can be overwhelming.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the Charging Cable Buying Guide and we’ll recommend some of the best options on the market.
What considerations are there when choosing a charging cable?
There are a few things to consider when choosing a charging cable.
- Phone Compatibility: Ensure that the cable is compatible with your phone. Check the connector type (such as Lightning, USB-C, or micro-USB) and the charging standard required by your device.
- Cord Length: If you’re going to be using it at home, a shorter cable might be fine. But if you need to be able to use it while you’re on the go, a longer cable will be more convenient. For extra long cables I personally love Native Union. They make beautiful braided cables in lengths from 5 to 10 feet that LAST.
- Speed: Some charging cables are faster than others. If you often find yourself needing a rapid battery boost before heading out, investing in a cable that supports fast charging, such as USB-C PD (Power Delivery) or Qualcomm Quick Charge, can significantly reduce charging time.
- Durability: Look for a cable that’s made with high-quality materials and that has a sturdy construction. Cables with reinforced stress points or thicker insulation are more resistant to damage and will provide better durability over time.
- Price: Charging cables can range in price from a few dollars to upwards of $50. It’s important to find a cable that fits your budget and your needs.
- Special Use Cases: for those who like to charge their phones on their bedside, native union has created a cable that solves the issue of the cord always slipping off the table top. Its fantastic Night Cable has a small weighted ball that can be slid up or down the cable and it prevents the cord from falling. Pure genius. I have one on every table. Tech Candy also makes a cool multi-ended cable called Eco Charge that means you don’t need to carry multiple cables around; it’s got Lightning, USB-C and Micro-USB all in one.
The Colorful Side: Beyond Basic Black and White
While functionality is crucial, charging cables can also be a personal style statement. While traditional black and white cables offer a timeless aesthetic, why not inject fun and personality into your charging routine?
Today, you can find charging cables in a myriad of vibrant colors, patterns, and even glowing options. Anker makes cool cables in a host of colours, and the cables seem durable too.
Whether you want to showcase your unique flair or match your cable to your device or accessories, the world of colorful charging cables awaits your exploration.
How do I buy a good charging cable?
To ensure you invest in a quality charging cable, consider the following tips:
- Research Brands: Look for reputable brands known for their quality charging cables. Brands like Anker, Belkin, and Aukey have garnered praise for their reliable products.
- Read Reviews: Before making a purchase, read reviews from other users to gauge their experiences with a particular cable. Pay attention to durability, charging speed, and compatibility.
- Check Certifications: Look for cables that are certified by regulatory bodies such as USB-IF (Universal Serial Bus Implementers Forum) or MFi (Made for iPhone/iPad/iPod). These certifications ensure the cable meets industry standards for performance and safety.
- Consider Warranty: A reputable manufacturer will stand by their product with a warranty. Check if the cable you’re interested in comes with a warranty, as it provides peace of mind against any unforeseen issues.
Best Charging Cables for iPhones & Android
Here are some of the best charging cables for iPhones:
- Anker PowerLine II Lightning Cable: This cable is made with high-quality materials and has a sturdy construction. It’s also very fast, so you can quickly charge your iPhone.
- Apple Lightning to USB Cable: This is the official Apple cable, so you can be sure it’s high quality and compatible with your iPhone.
- Belkin BOOST CHARGE Lightning Cable: This cable is also very fast and durable. It comes in a variety of lengths, so you can choose the one that’s right for you.
Here are some of the best charging cables for Android:
- Anker PowerLine III USB-C to USB-A Cable: This cable is very fast and durable. It’s also compatible with a wide range of Android devices.
- Google USB-C to USB-A Cable: This is the official Google cable, so you can be sure it’s high quality and compatible with your Android device.
- Aukey USB-C to USB-A Cable: This cable is also very fast and durable. It’s available in a variety of lengths, so you can choose the one that’s right for you.
Which Charger Cable is Best for Fast Charging?
For fast charging on both iPhones and Android devices, use a USB-C to Lightning cable for iPhones and a USB-C to USB-C cable with Power Delivery (PD) support for Android devices.
Here are some reliable options for quick charging:
- Anker PowerLine+ III USB-C to USB-A Cable: This Anker cable offers fast charging and is compatible with a wide range of devices. It has a durable construction and comes in various lengths.
- Belkin BoostCharge USB-C to Lightning Cable: Belkin’s MFi-certified cable supports fast charging for iPhones. It is made with durable materials and ensures reliable performance.
- Aukey Dynamic Detect USB-C Cable: This affordable cable from Aukey supports fast charging and is compatible with various devices. It features a sturdy build and comes in different lengths.
- Samsung EP-DG977 USB-C to USB-C Cable: This Samsung cable is specifically designed for Samsung devices with USB-C ports, ensuring compatibility and optimized performance.
- AmazonBasics USB-C to USB-C 2.0 Cable: This affordable AmazonBasics cable supports fast charging for smartphones and laptops. It strikes a good balance between quality and affordability.
Which Company Makes the Best Charging Cables?
Anker is known for making high-quality, durable cables that are very affordable. Belkin is another popular brand that makes high-quality cables. Aukey is a newer brand that’s quickly gaining popularity for its affordable, high-quality cables.
Are Expensive Charging Cables Worth It?
Expensive charging cables often utilize high-quality materials, such as reinforced connectors and braided nylon or Kevlar sheaths, making them more resistant to fraying and damage. They may also incorporate advanced technologies like Power Delivery (PD) or Qualcomm Quick Charge, which enable faster charging times.
However, many expensive cables are simply overpriced and offer no real benefit over cheaper options. It’s possible to find reliable, mid-range charging cables that offer excellent performance without breaking the bank. With that said, most smart phone and tablet manufacturers will tell you you should always be using branded cables that come direct from Apple, Samsung, or Google as replacement parts. They claim that’s the only way they can guarantee safety of the device when charging. While there have definitely been stories of smart phones catching fire while charging with off-brand cables, those are relatively rare… Though if you have first-hand knowledge of this happening we’d love to hear your story in the comments below.
Choosing the right charging cable is crucial for keeping your smartphone charged. Consider factors like compatibility, length, speed, durability, and price. Research reputable brands, read reviews, and find a balance between quality and affordability to make a confident purchasing decision.
We hope you find this guide helpful and discover a charging cable that suits your needs perfectly. If you have a cable or brand that you rely on and would recommend to others, please share it in the comments.
**A note about Affiliate Links: TechGadgetsCanada & TechGadgetsInternational is supported by our readers. Occasionally I will include affiliate links in my reviews. I do this partly for convenience of the reader (since I’ll almost always include a link to the company website or similar anyway) in case you want to read more or purchase, but I also may get a small commission from the click, which helps me keep the blog running. If you choose to use this link I thank you greatly for supporting the blog. There’s no obligation or cost to you for using these links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.